"Your Name" by Jessica Fernandes

September 17, 2018

My name is Jessica Fernandes and I'm from Montreal, Canada. From a very young age, my love for rhymes and poetry first began when I was introduced to Dr. Seuss' collection.  Over the years, I've been writing about things that occur and any thoughts I have lingering in my mind. Although I think the topics I choose to write about are very mature, I realized that I still have a lot of growing up to do. When I write, there is not only a creative process behind it, but also a learning process in which I get a chance to learn a little bit more about myself and where my feelings are at the moment.

I've decided to submit a poem I wrote a couple of years ago. While I was writing it, I thought I knew how I felt, but it only makes more sense now that I've moved on.

Your Name 

When you first told me your name

I labelled no other with this name

But when you became responsible for my heartbreak

I no longer felt the same way

You ruined your name’s reputation

And so I pledge in your name to never open up to someone new with your name

Because it’s your name.

And it has its own definition in my heart.

No Comments

Post a Comment