A Conversation with CAT

September 30, 2018

LA based singer-songwriter, CAT, serves up a sweet glass of 80’s nostalgia with her latest track, “Strawberry Milkshake”. Her rich vocals fuse with vibrant synth and drums, transporting the listener to a cinematic realm of late night drives and teenage romance. She sings of moving on, “driving fast” from ex-love to self-love as she sees herself as “the cherry on top”. By the hook of the song, the tempo and lyrical intensity shift from a delicate personal narrative to a renewed sense of confidence and independence. As a whole, the track exudes the lyrical nostalgia and edge of Lana Del Rey within the comfort of a classic pop anthem. Songs like “Strawberry Milkshake” prove that the future of music lies in the past. (Review by Molly Alexander)


Staff members Molly Alexander and Logan Charles Jenkins recently chatted with musician CAT about her new single, "Strawberry Milkshake," her musical journey, and plans for the future. Read on below to see what CAT had to say.

DISSOLVING FILM: "Strawberry Milkshake" really has an 80's vibe to it, yet it feels fresh. What inspired you to write it?

CAT: I was really inspired by my favorite 80’s artists and pop music when I was writing "Strawberry Milkshake." It’s inspired by events in my life when I was sixteen. "Strawberry Milkshake" is a song about freeing yourself. For me, that means cruising in my car. I wanted to have the song reflect that feeling of driving away and being alone with the songs that I blast. 

If there's one underlying message you'd like listeners to take away from the song, what would it be?

It would be that you deserve to be happy! If that’s leaving a relationship or putting your needs first, you deserve to be able to do that. It’s easy to swallow feelings but in the end, it’s worth it to speak your truth, follow your gut, go through the drive through. You deserve to be happy just as much as anyone else. Why not you, you know? 

Is "Strawberry Milkshake" your official debut?

Yes! Unlike my previous releases, this is the debut of my first original song!

What other artists, if any, do you draw inspiration from when creating music?

My biggest influences are Oingo Boingo, Talking Heads, Nancy Sinatra, and Prince. I admire when people can have fun with their songwriting and the freedom in their songs. 

How has your journey in the LA music scene brought you to this point?

I have been exploring the LA music scene for over a year now. I love the artistry you can find in the LA music scene and the people I’ve met. I love collaborating with others and expanding ideas into projects and I’ve found a community that I trust and can come to and create! 

When did you first realize that you wanted to become a professional musician/performer?

Songwriting has always been my main outlet for creating and sorting out my feelings. I spent a lot of my Friday nights in high school playing on my family’s piano. I love storytelling and wanted to share those stories with others. 

"Strawberry Milkshake" is a great example of the talent that you're going to bring to the music scene with your future projects. How has the release of this song differed from the making of your covers?

I love covers, I'm a big fan of them. I try to incorporate at least one or two into my shows! I think both allow opportunities to experiment and explore different styles within the songs! The biggest difference has been that this release is something I’m able to say I wrote and arranged. 

Your Instagram is a very aesthetically pleasing, vibrant color scheme; how does this tie into who you are as an artist?

Thank you!! I experiment a lot with looks and styles in both my music and fashion. I’ve always had a love for themes and clever aesthetics and incorporating those kinds of visuals into my art. 

What's been your absolute favorite part of your journey, and the most difficult part?

My favorite part has been meeting so many new people that I not only call my friends, but are artists that I look up to! It’s been absolutely amazing. 
Most difficult part for me in my journey is coming across people who see me as a brand and not an artist/human. There are certain voices to feed. My advice to that is to take everything with a grain of salt. 

What can fans expect from you in the near future? Any albums, songs, or shows in the works?

I have more shows coming up this year! My next show will be on October 19th at The Mint in Los Angeles. I have a new song in the works and it should be coming out early next year.


Click here to listen to CAT's new single "Strawberry Milkshake."

Click here to check out CAT's website where you can find a link to her music videos and so much more!

Also follow CAT on Instagram @thegreatcaatsby to stay up to date with her upcoming releases.

No Comments

Post a Comment