"In the Heat of the Summer" by Asirah Abdul Kadir

February 2, 2019

Sometimes I feel like I don’t belong in the city. Growing up, I’ve always loved the beach however, being a native to the city of Kuala Lumpur, the closest thing we have to a surf beach is the fake wave at our waterpark which we have to pay a grand amount of money to spend like 30 minutes “surfing” on it. So, when my family and I took a trip to Sydney, I made sure that Bondi Beach was on the itinerary.

After a hearty breakfast, we walked down the streets to the beach. Along the way we saw pretty much just surfers, surfboards, and surf shops. For the first time in my life, summer really felt like summer. You could hear the waves in the distance and feel the warm Australian sun on your skin. As we walked along the coastal path at Hunter Park, we saw a bunch of surfers catching waves and that really doubled my interest in surfing. I couldn’t get enough of watching them ride the waves so effortlessly and so confidently. Even 50+ year-old men were surfing on that day. I was blown away.

I can’t wait for the day I get to experience the same feeling and excitement. Maybe I won’t get the chance to hop on a surfboard right now but one day I will. For now, I’ll just leave it to my imagination and these photos.


Follow Asirah on Instagram to see more of her work.

No Comments

Post a Comment