"My I Love You" with Charlotte Bumgarner

March 14, 2019

1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Oh my god. This show is EVERYTHING!!! From the cheesy but amazing 90s-early 00s fashion to the feminist messages the show is constantly bringing up. I'm currently re-watching it for fifth time or something, I can't even remember at this point. I would highly recommend for anyone who likes spooky things and badass female leads.

2. The fashion designer Caroline Hu.
She's a badass graduate from Parsons who makes the most beautiful clothes ever. She uses textures and patterns that you wouldn't normally see together. Her style is based on women in Renaissance paintings. She tries to capture movement and brush strokes in her work and she does it impeccably well!!!

3. Francesca Woodman.
I've never been able to pick a favorite photographer because it's too hard to narrow it down but...it might have to be Francesca Woodman. She died very young but has a huge body of work. Most of her photos are on black and white film and are self portraits. She makes taking self portraits on film look so easy. (Which it definitely is not!) Her work is so powerful and beautiful and often shows connections to femininity and nature.

4. Boygenius.
The super group of Phoebe Bridgers, Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus. All separately incredible musicians but together an amazing girl power band. I feel a personal connection to them because I am a female solo artist as well and I know how hard it can be sometimes. So when Boygenius was formed from three of my favorite female solo artists and they dropped an album with some heavy songs too I was so happy. Most people will call solo artists boring or emo but they make the most heartfelt and beautiful music. I recommend watching their live sets, these women know what they're doing.

5. Just Kids by Patti Smith.
Again, it's hard for me to choose all time favorites because I often have way too many to narrow it down but Patti Smith is one of my favorite authors, and Just Kids may be my favorite book. Patti has the ability to write beautifully about mundane things, about ANYTHING. In this book she talks about her journey. From childhood to life in poverty in 1970s NYC to fame. She writes honestly about what life is like as a struggling artist and it is such an important read. She talks casually about hanging out with Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix and living at the Chelsea hotel. I could go on and on about this book but I'll just say it definitely changed my life. Anything by Patti Smith is well worth the read.

6. Dilara Findikoglu.
MY QUEEN. She is an amazing fashion designer in London. Her work is like occult glam!!! She uses really unique looking models and makeup making her designs really stand out. People were calling one of her shows a “satanic orgy” because she uses occult symbols on her clothes and had a show in a church. I love everything she makes and hope to reach her level of witchiness one day.

No Comments

Post a Comment