"My I Love You" with Marissa Smith

January 10, 2019

I started @myfavoritesigns at the beginning of 2018, I had just left a full-time job and was freelancing. I wanted to fill my time with something new and fun as a side project. After traveling all over the world, especially California, I noticed how there are some gems of vintage architecture and signage all over the United States (and abroad). Every time I passed an old motel from the 60's or 70's I would squeal because it just looked so cool. I was also impressed and surprised that it hadn't been torn down yet. That's when I decided I need to be documenting the amazing places still in existence. Basically, in another life I grew up in the 50s/60s where everything was beautiful and mid-century modern.

I use a Pentax IQZoom EZY film camera I got at Goodwill for $1, and my two rules are: that the photos have to be taken from me, on my film camera (no submissions) and that all photos are taken in the daylight - no night time shots.

Top 5 favorite signs:

1. Bambi Cleaners, Philadelphia PA
There's of course a community of people on Instagram that love signs, and once you fall into the rabbit hole of going through all the accounts you start finding signs you might not have known about. This was one of them. I'm a huge Disney fan, and I couldn't pass up taking a little road trip to Philadelphia to grab this one. Fun fact: my camera was acting up that day and I was so stressed about not getting the photo I literally used a whole roll of film just on this sign alone. I usually only take 2-5 photos of one sign to get the money shot.

2. Safari Inn, Burbank CA
This photo to me, is the reason why I started the account. The font, the neon, the graphic, the palm trees in the back... it's hard to believe this still exists.

3. Lollipop Motel, Wildwood NJ
I grew up going to Wildwood when I was younger, and this sign always stood out to me. Not to mention the motel is super colorful. Wildwood is one of those towns that literally has every old motel from the 50s and 60s still around, with original signage.

4. Weber’s Drive-In, Pennsauken NJ
I love a good diner/drive-in/kitsch food restaurant. Weber's did not disappoint. The sign was moving... it was beautiful and to then eat with carhop waitresses coming to your car to take your order, it's a blast from the past.

5. The Donut Hole, La Puente CA
I love oddities and obscure places. This one was suggested by a friend. A donut place that you literally drive through a donut. I mean come on!

No Comments

Post a Comment